Friday, March 4, 2011

iScream: The Danger of Being a Mac Mama

Like most of you, I am dependent on my iPhone. It is my address book, watch, alarm, organizer, our "home" phone, my in-store distraction ... in a word my "brain." While I NEED it (although I love so many things about it), I don't LIKE it so much these days.

I don't like being dependent on the little device and I certainly don't like the distraction it poses to me. What did I do before I had this gizmo of knowledge and instant gratification at my fingertips 24-7? I survived and I think I was less stressed. I have a similar LOVE/HATE relationship with my Mac computer ... so tempting, yet so time consuming if I don't prioritize.

I've been amazed at how iSavvy the cuties have become. They can Angry Birds and Cupcake bake, and dress up princesses with the best of them; Bejeweled Blitz - they love it; and Word With Friends, well let's just say they've ruined several matches by passing a turn.

I'm aware of the dangers to my children involved with technology. I've got protections in place to keep their little eyes safe and to keep my stuff safe from them messing it up. I, however, was completely unaware of the danger posed to me by their use of technology. Unaware until today, that is ...

Any mom can identify with the absence of privacy that exists in my household. I cannot lock them out of the bathroom, because invariably the world ends at the very moment I am disrobed and have soap lathered in my hair. So, I close the door to the bathroom when I need to shower, with the understanding that a knock and response are needed before you proceed into the master bath.

Today, while showering, I hear a sweet knock at the door, followed by a "Mommy, can I come in?" Since I really cannot hear much of what they NEED when I'm in the shower, I hollered for her to enter. She said she was just coming to see what I was doing. I said I was showering, so I'd be right out. She said, "OK, Mama. Say cheese!" And THAT is when she pulled my iPhone out from behind her back and was innocently going to snap my photo.

iPanic! iScream! iScare my precious four year old who has no idea why mama doesn't want a shower photo of me taken. iVow to lock the door from now on. iJump out of the shower, iDress and iCheck my phone's photo album. iForgive LK and iTeach why iDon't want her to take shower shots. iLaugh hysterically at the craziness and danger involved in my life as a stay at home mom. iPray and iThank God she asked me to say cheese, otherwise I might have been "lathering, rinsing and repeating" and never known my image had been captured until a family photo slide show someday down the road. iShudder at the thought ;)

1 comment: