Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Remember the time I set the house on fire?

So I started the day out today with a SPARK. No, not my normal AdvoCare energy boosting SPARK ... actual sparks. I thought I'd be a really nice mom and make Jordan Anne a warm yummy breakfast on this COLD day. Instead of her usual cereal or pop-tart, I put bacon in the microwave to cook, and started scrambling some eggs. What happened next is the reason I should just stick to a cold breakfast on school mornings ...

In defense of the bacon, I really think the paper towel was the culprit ... curse you Kirkland's paper towels (channeling my inner Doofenschmirtz voice). I put it all in for 2 minutes, but less than 1 minute into the cook time, I thought I heard something and took a peek in the door ... just in time to see the paper towel spark and catch fire. When I opened the door, WHOOSH ... paper towel en fuego and I went into firefighting mode.

What I've learned today is that I'm remarkably calm under pressure (thank you, Holy Spirit 'cause I know this must be from you!). I did not alert the kids to the fiery sink, nor did I freak out. Fire out, kids in school for drop off & I dismissed their "What's that smoky smell" questions with "I've got everything under control!" However, after drop off and returning home to the mess, smoke, and the dreaded phone call to Matt, I became a weepy mess. LK shook her head and went upstairs to play :) Thankful Matt was so nice about the home thing.

I've started blogs in the past, but have never been very good at keeping them going and making them a routine. I'm hoping the events of this morning will give me the SPARK I need to become the blogger I've always wanted to be. We'll see! Gotta run ... I think I smell some smoke ;)

5 comments:

  1. Let me be the first to comment on your new blog!!! I'm so glad you are OK and your house is in tact! I couldn't help thinking that this would soooooooo happen at CA! Take it easy and enjoy your day! Now, pass the Bacon!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy! You are one of the bloggers I admire most ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed you at preschool today! Just checking fb and seeing you have a blog. Bookmarking it so I can read more about daily life at the Smith house.

    Great story! Hope the smokey smell goes away soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kristen! Sounds like I missed quite the eventful day at SCP today. You are one of the bloggers I'm trying to emulate :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a day at preschool for sure! Can't wait to hear about your trip coming up...so excited for ALL of you!!

    I have loved having my blog to look back on. I don't scrapbook or anything clever like that, so this has become a way to make sure I capture snippets of our everyday life. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete