Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Why you cry, Sra. Geller?

I went to Bunco last night, leaving the cuties in Mr. Handsome's capable hands. I got home after they'd all gone to sleep, which is a large part why I play Bunco ... to have a break from the bedtime routine. (The biggest reason is the awesome friends, fabulous snacks, and way-cool prizes!)

Anyway, this morning JA ran past me when she woke up, side-stepping the usual morning hug routine, and heading for the couch instead. Rather than feel insulted, I seized the kid-free minutes to finish primping for the day ahead. But, when I went into the living room later, it happened again ... dissed by my 7 year old.

I was started to feel a little peeved, but in the grand scheme of things, not a big deal, so I wasn't going to let her hurt me by washing in the pool of my inner power (that made me laugh ... there will be Friends references throughout as I'm feeling nostalgic). I passed her again while making breakfast and she started cracking up. "I knew it! She's up to something," I thought, pleased I hadn't let her see that I was irked, and then I saw it ... she lost a front tooth.

Clever cutie and Mr. Handsome had decided to try and keep it from me as long as possible, which for the record was about ten minutes. I was immediately excited for her, because she's been working on that tooth to come loose for a long time. She had even named it "Victoria" in hopes that if they had a personal connection, "Victoria" and her might reach a mutual parting agreement. What transpired in the following few minutes is only to understood by a mother ... my extreme happiness for my daughter crazily morphed into psycho sobbing when I realized I would never look at those first pair of front teeth again. The cuties and Mr. Handsome exchanged glances, shaking their heads. JA asked, "Why are you crying, mama?" Mr. Handsome told her, "Because, she's mommy and that's just what she does." (Did I ever mention he's smart too?)

I cried because I hadn't memorized that smile before I left for Bunco the night before. I cried because she is my first child, and losing that front tooth is a milestone. After all, she'd bitten me with it when I nursed her, so "Victoria" and I have a history. I cried just because. There was no real reason - just a big snotty mix of emotions that I feel for my cuties on a pretty regular basis.

Am I alone in this? Are there other hyper emotional mamas out there? I hope so. If not, please don't tell me it's just me, 'cause I'm still feeling a little weepy ;)

Well, here's some photos of the toothless wonder ...




After lots of hugs and the photo session, it was time to race out the door to Spanish camp. Although it is hot-as-a mug today (that isn't how our meteorologist, Pete Delkus, described today's weather, but when it is close to a 100 degrees at right about 8:30 a.m., I think it works), I decided to take little cutie to the park while sister was at her camp. I'm not a big summertime park lady, because I don't glisten like other Southern women, I sweat and it is ugly. I don't like walking around dripping, feeling like Phoebe's "Smelly Cat" might have been penned about me. However, after my little tooth episode this morning, it made me realize I better get in as many sweaty, hot-as-a-mug park outings with Miss Little Bit, before she gets too big for her britches and doesn't want me to take her anymore.

We DID go to the park. We DID get all hot and sweaty. We had a ball and we're going do it again tomorrow too. Here's my other cutie patootie at the park ...



They are growing up and it is the best and worst part of being their mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment